VoCoL Project Update
The Chamber of Commerce is a partner in the EU VoCoL project which has now reached the half way stage, completing in June 2016.
It aims to bring together the worlds of work, vocational education and learners (the ‘triangle’) using co-operative learning techniques. Learning in a co-operative fashion provides learners with exposure to views and the feelings of others and the ability to work collectively towards a goal.
It is also beneficial to the company. Employers state that improving co-operative learning would develop essential soft skills (those relating to communication, flexibility, resourcefulness etc) which help to fully utilise their technical expertise, and thus contribute to company growth.
Across the six EU countries the teacher training in cooperative learning is being completed and employers are now being engaged in the process, and trainees are developing their soft skills.
One of the local employers who see the benefit in developing trainees’ skills in this manner is Dundee City Council Social Work Dept. who state that they see great potential in the techniques to develop the soft skills of their recruits into Social Care roles.
Another employer who can see the benefit in having their trainees learn in this manner is Active Schools as the students have to lead sporting activities with diverse ages and require to be confident in communicating with groups.
For more information - you can follow the project on:
- Twitter: @VoCoLTriangles
- Instagram: vocoltriangles
- Facebook: VoCoL Triangles Project
- Web: www.vocoltriangles.eu
D&A College is the lead partner in an interesting and potentially influential two year EU Erasmus+ project called VoCoL Triangles.
The partners, in addition to D&A College, are:
- Bollnas Kommun, SE: engages with local companies to run "Vocational High Schools Courses" for adult learners related to business life
- Hetel, ES: association of 21 Basque VET centres working to deepen collaboration with companies through various initiatives
- Institut Inpro, CZ: educational organization operating in further education, VET and development of new forms of education
- RegioVision, DE: facilitates the integration of people with difficulties to access the labour market through continuing vocational training
- ICI, IS: training and advocacy organisation offering EU-wide training in COL
Also three industry associations will be Associate Partners to ensure labour market relevance:
- Dundee & Angus Chamber of Commerce
- Association of SMEs and Crafts of the Czech Republic
- MittMedia i Hälsingland (Swedish media company)
The outputs will include:
- Enhanced professional development of 20 teachers/trainers (UK, ES, SE, CZ, DE)
- Cascaded training in CoL to 75 teachers/trainers (UK, ES, SE, CZ, DE) in their own organisations and regional/national VET networks
- Enhanced curricula of 25 VET courses (UK, ES, SE, CZ, DE) making them more attractive
- Improved employability, cultural awareness and transversal skills development of 250 learners (UK, ES, SE, CZ, DE) through their inclusion in VoCOL Triangles. Skills developed will include customer orientation, multicultural (organisational and ethnical culture), ability to handle negative reactions and rejections, creativity, communication, business understanding, adaptability, flexibility and entrepreneurship
- Improved recognition of transversal competences as CoL assessments are mapped against European Qualification Framework (IS, UK, ES, SE, CZ, DE)
- Richard Faint: email@example.com
- Iverene Bromfield: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Abi Mawhirt: email@example.com