Alexander Community Development is delighted to announce that they are now a Living Wage Accredited Employer.
This is one of the first steps we are taking to help tackle poverty head on. We believe in fair pay for fair work and we are committed to paying the real living wage.
This is something we will implement when we provide work placements through Government Kickstart Scheme later this year.
This week also seen ACD secure the Bronze Resource Efficiency Pledge. ACD is committed to developing a more green and sustainable way of working and will be implementing various steps throughout our journey.
The next part of this journey for ACD is building a self-sustaining green site, at Fairfield Street, which will house the organisation and significantly increase capacity for services. The site will also offer affordable space for other, similarly aligned organisations to operate from.
We are seeking support for this build and if would like to be involved in this project, please get in touch.
About Alexander Community Development
Alexander Community Development has been demonstrating their people-driven values, with the food distribution services, during Covid-19 Lockdown. The service is focussed on supporting the network of food insecurity groups in the city, ensuring they have access to food, transportation, storage and logistical support, which enables them to focus on providing their vital services.
2 Fairfield Street Dundee, currently renting space from Alexander Decorators, with the ambition to construct a purpose-built green building on the site.
Centre Manager – email@example.com
The real Living Wage
• Only the real Living Wage is independently calculated each year based on what employees and their families need to live
• The current UK Living Wage is £9.30 an hour
• The current London Living Wage is £10.75 an hour
• Employers choose to pay the real Living Wage on a voluntary basis
• The rates apply to all workers over 18 – in recognition that young people face the same living costs as everyone else
• The real Living Wage that meets the cost of living enjoys cross party support, with public backing from MSPs and MPs across the political spectrum
• Paying a wage that is enough to live on is good for business, good for the individual and good for society
• The Living Wage Employer Mark and Service Provider Recognition Scheme provide an ethical badge for responsible pay
Resource Efficiency Pledge
The Resource Efficiency Pledge is a nationwide scheme backed by Scottish Government to help Scottish businesses use energy, water and raw materials more efficiently throughout their operations. Since 2014, nearly 200 organisations across Scotland have taken steps to save money and strengthen their businesses through the Pledge.
Alexander Community Development has developed from 20 years of work in the decorating trade, both in practise and education. The sister company of ACD, Alexander Decorators LTD has lead the way in developing skill and talent in the trade, and this work will now be built upon in ACD. Within in this live working environment, there will be programmes delivered for children and young people who are looking to gain qualifications and skills that will gain them future employment opportunities.